Award-Winning Dentist Explains Moorpark, CA, Dental Crowns
Although your teeth are the strongest part of your body, proper care is necessary to keep them healthy for life. Even with the best care, your teeth can sometimes encounter issues. When this happens, dental professionals often turn to dental crowns to protect your teeth. Keep reading to learn more about Moorpark, CA, dental crowns from our dental experts.
What Is a Crown?
Dental crowns are a dental restoration that’s used to protect a damaged tooth. A crown, or cap, can also be used to improve the appearance, shape, or alignment of a tooth. Because they are fixed prosthetic devices that are cemented onto an existing tooth, they can only be removed by a professional.
When Is a Crown Necessary?
If you have a cracked or decaying tooth, dental crowns are often used to protect the tooth or restore its functionality. Our dentists may also recommend a crown for any of the following reasons:
- As reinforcement for a weakened tooth and to prevent fracturing
- To attach a bridge
- As a cover for a dental implant
- To replace a large filling in a decaying tooth
- To cover a discolored or misshaped tooth
- As a cover for a tooth after root canal treatment
Which Type of Crown Do I Need?
Several types of dental crowns are used in the field of dentistry including:
- Ceramic – Made from a translucent material that blends well with your natural tooth color
- Porcelain – Made with or without metal and resembles your natural tooth color
- Resin – Made of inexpensive composite material and not widely used in modern-day dentistry.
- Metals – Gold alloys used are a mix of gold, copper and other metals. Base metal alloys are non-noble metals that are highly resistant to corrosion
There are pros and cons to each type of crown – be sure to discuss your options with a dental professional. Your specific case will determine which type of crown is used to treat and protect your damaged tooth. Call our office today if you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation with one of our dental experts for Moorpark, CA, dental crowns.
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and additional topics related to dentistry, feel free to contact Moorpark Center for Dentistry by calling 805.243.3999 or by clicking here.